MyEZGel™ 3D-iPSC Matrix
3D cell culture holds the key to bridging the gap between cell culture and cellular physiology by providing better representation of the in vivo microenvironment and cytoarchitecture, structural complexity and homeostasis, and more importantly cell-cell and cell-environment interactions, diffusion and interstitial fluid flow characteristics. It allows for better translation of in vitro studies to in vivo applications. 3D culture systems for use with stem cells (iPSCs) are gaining popularity as matrix grown cells have more in vivo-like gene expression, better differentiation potential, proliferation and cellular function, and are more physiologically relevant in vitro models.
Applied StemCell’s MyEZGel™ 3D-iPSC Matrix is a synthetic peptide hydrogel matrix inspired by muscle and spider silk proteins, and can overcome basic problems associated with hydrogel-based matrices such as complicated scaffold synthesis, temperature and pH sensitivity, low harvest/ yield, cellular toxicity from materials used. The MyEZGel™ 3D-iPSC Matrix is a powerful tool for in vitro 3D cultures of human induced pluripotent stem cell (hiPSC), with more accurate in vivo predictions for life science research and development. The MyEZGel™ nanofibrils are easily formulated into any cell culture medium of choice, in neutral pH and at room temperature of 37°C. The cells no longer suffer acidic or chill conditions and cultured cells can be easily harvested from the matrix.
Key Features of MyEZGel™ 3D-iPSC Matrix:
- Forms spheroids
- Easy cell encapsulation and harvest
- Fast hydrogel formation (~30 min)
- Neutral pH: No more icing or acidic conditions
- Room temperature/ 37°C culture conditions
- Low seeding density à High yield
- Longer shelf life
- Maintain iPSC in pluripotent state
Advantages (compared to 2D iPSC cultures):
- Robust proliferation
- Better cellular viability and yield
- Enables natural cellular morphology and cellular interactions
- Supports better lineage differentiation in vivo (teratoma formation)
- Effective use of space and resources (1/5th space and ½ amount of media)
- May reduce dependency on animal models as a more predictive models
- Developing biologically relevant and predictive cell-based assays
- Disease modeling
- Drug discovery and drug screening (Liver and cardiovascular)
- Morphology studies
- Tissue engineering
- 3D bioprinting
For a quick start to your 3D iPSC experiments, try our ready-to-use, well characterized control human 3D iPSC Line (ASE-9050).
We also offer 3D culture services for iPSCs and ESCs. Please inquire for details.
Comparison of HiPSCs cultured in MyEZGel™ 3D-iPSC Matrix vs. 2D-HiPSCs cultured in regular media
Cell Morphology: 2D vs. 3D iPSCs
Figure 1. Cellular morphology of 3D iPSCs. MyEZGel™ 3D cultured iPSCs forms spehoirds in the hydrogel matrix.
Immunohistochemistry of iPScs directly in 3D Matrix
Figure 2. In situ Immuhistochemical characterization of 3D cultured iPSCs. HiPSCs were cultured in MyEZGel™ 3D Matrix, fixed and immunostained for pluripotency marker, OCT4 on day 5 (p3) directly in the matrix, without the need for harvesting iPSCs for characterization.
In Vivo Differentiation by Teratoma Formation
Figure 3. Teratoma formation of 3D-iPSCs shows more defined in vivo differentiation as compared to 2D cultured iPSCs.
- Li, L., & LaBarbera, D. V. (2017). 3D High-Content Screening of Organoids for Drug Discovery. Reference Module in Chemistry, Molecular Sciences and Chemical Engineering. 388-415. doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-12-409547-2.12329-7