CF-1 MEF Feeder Cells
Derived from CF-1 mouse embryos and used as feeder layers to support the growth of undifferentiated mouse or human embryonic stem cells (ESC) and induced pluripotent stem cells (iPSC) .
MEF cells serve as feeder cells to support the growth of undifferentiated mouse or human embryonic stem cells (ESCs) and induced pluripotent stem cells (iPSCs). MEF cells are isolated from mouse embryos and should be used at an early passage. Before use as feeder cells, MEF cells must be mitotically inactivated by γ-irradiation or mitomycin-C treatment.
CF-1 MEF feeder cells are derived from 13.5 day old mouse embryos and are most commonly used for ESC and iPSC culture.
All MEF cells are manufactured in the US and have an average viability of 95% after thawing. We offer both untreated cells for further expansion and treated cells that can be directly used as a feeder layer.
Applied StemCell's cited and published journal articles
- Kiamehr, M. (2019). Induced pluripotent stem cell-derived hepatocyte-like cells: The lipid status in differentiation, functionality, and de-differentiation of hepatic cells. Tampere University Dissertations.
- Yeom, K. H., Mitchell, S., Linares, A. J., Zheng, S., Lin, C. H., Wang, X. J., ... & Black, D. L. (2018). Polypyrimidine Tract Binding Protein blocks microRNA-124 biogenesis to enforce its neuronal specific expression. bioRxiv, 297515. https://doi.org/10.1101/297515
- Chai, S., Wan, X., Ramirez-Navarro, A., Tesar, P. J., Kaufman, E. S., Ficker, E., ... & Deschênes, I. (2018). Physiological genomics identifies genetic modifiers of long QT syndrome type 2 severity. The Journal of Clinical Investigation, 128(3). DOI: 10.1172/JCI94996
- Oh, Y., Zhang, F., Wang, Y., Lee, E. M., Choi, I. Y., Lim, H., ... & Wu, H. (2017). Zika virus directly infects peripheral neurons and induces cell death. Nature Neuroscience, 20(9), 1209-1212.
- Kiamehr, M., Viiri, L. E., Vihervaara, T., Koistinen, K. M., Hilvo, M., Ekroos, K., ... & Aalto-Setälä, K. (2017). Lipidomic profiling of patient-specific induced pluripotent stem cell-derived hepatocyte-like cells. Disease Models & Mechanisms, dmm-030841.
- Wong, K. G., et al. (2017). CryoPause: A New Method to Immediately Initiate Experiments after Cryopreservation of Pluripotent Stem Cells. http://www.cell.com/stem-cell-reports/pdfExtended/S2213-6711(17)30217-5.
- Cvetkovic, C., et al. (2017). A 3D-printed platform for modular neuromuscular motor units. Microsystems & Nanoengineering, 3, 17015.
- Kurapati, S., et al. (2017). Role of JNK pathway in varicella-zoster virus lytic infection and reactivation. Journal of Virology, JVI-00640.
- Kotini, A. G., et al. (2017). Cell Stem Cell. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.stem.2017.01.009
- Maghen, L., et al. (2017). Reproduction, 153(1), 85-95.
- Nguyen, T. T. T., et al. (2016) Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 201604720.
- Uzel, Sebastien GM, et al. Science Advances 2.8 (2016): e1501429.
- Liu, X., et al. (2016) Mol Neurobiol. 1-17.
- Wang J, et al. (2016) Nature Protocols. 11(2):327-46
- Mimura, S et al. (2016). International journal of developmental biology, 60(1), 21-28.
- Kaini, RR., et al. (2016) Tissue Engineering Part C: Methods, 22(2), 85-90.
- Chambers, SM., et al. (2016) Human Embryonic Stem Cell Protocols. 329-343.
- Nakshatri, H., et al. (2015) Scientific reports, 5.
- Romanazzo, S, et al. (2015) Biomaterials science 3(3): 469-479.
- Ji, J et al. (2015) Hepatology.62(3): 829-840.
- Linares, A. J., et al. (2015). eLife, 4, e09268.
- Elo, T. (2014). Evaluation of the pluripotency of human induced pluripotent stem cells (hiPSCs) reprogrammed with integrative and non-integrative protocols and their differentiation into cardiomyocytes (Master's thesis).
Frequently Asked Questions
1. For the CF-1 MEF Feeder Cells, P3 (ASF-1215), what does the word irradiated indicate? Do I still need to irradiate the cells?
The CF-1 irradiated MEF cells, P3 do not need to be irradiated again. They are already irradiated and can be used directly.
2. The datasheet mentions using CF-1 MEF cells at early passages. How many passages do you recommend using them?
We do not recommend passaging them more than P5 before irradiation because such cells do not serve as good feeders. For the same reason, we only provide P3 to ensure the quality.
3. Is it possible to amplify them in order to freeze some for use again later?
CF-1 P3, irradiated MEF cells are non-dividing cells (they have been irradiated and cannot be passaged). As feeder cells, they can attach and provide growth nutrients needed by stem cells. If you would like to grow the cells for freezing down, we recommend buying the CF-1, P2, untreated MEF cells (ASF-1201/ 1202), and do the irradiation by yourself.